Already widely considered the most authentic baseball game available; MLB 08 THE SHOW is set to provide fans with the most realistic baseball experience to date with innovations such as a more immersive Road to The Show mode enabling gamers to play both offense and defense from the created player’s perspective.
Providing players with some additional performance incentives the MLB franchise introduces the new Progressive Batting Performance feature which will both reward players for superior performance and penalize them for hitting slumps. Specific to each individual batter players will be rewarded with slight contact bonuses or punished with slight decreases in contact based on how that batter that performs beyond his ‘natural ability’ while under user control.
Adding to the online feature set which includes customizable Online League Play with up to 30 teams scrolling MLB Score Ticker and more MLB 08 THE SHOW introduces SCOUT (SportsConnect Online User Tracking) which allows gamers to set and store their game preferences on the MLB server and enables the system to look for a Quick Match with opponents that fits similar competitive criteria.
- Road to The Show 2.0 – To deliver the closest experience possible next to actually trying to make it in the Majors MLB 08 THE SHOW introduces a more immersive Road to The Show mode. As gamers attempt to make a starting line-up in the Big Leagues playing on both offense and defense from a custom-created player’s perspective a more robust dynamic goal system and a new career advancement system will determine when a player is eligible for a promotion. Now advancement goals related to the player’s attribute target level will be provided to get the player to that next level and those goals are based on the player’s attribute level and statistical performance. Also Road to The Show 2.0 adds a new statistics screen that will display a player’s current seasons’ statistics. Additionally custom-created players are more interactive. As a position player gamers will be able to further adjust that players positioning catchers will occur more defense situations and pitcher’s will now experience mound visits with user interaction – all making Road to The Show mode even more realistic.
- Progressive Batting Performance – Progressive Batting Performance is a feature designed to both reward players for superior performance and penalizes them for hitting slumps. Specific to each individual batter the players will be rewarded with slight contact bonuses for each batter that performs beyond his ‘natural ability’ while under user control. Conversely the user will be punished with slight decreases in contact for each batter that performs below his ‘natural ability’.
- Replay Vault – With the new Replay Vault gamers can now go back to that spectacular diving behind the back double play from the first inning and show their friends. Replays are available from any part of the game from any inning within that game.
- Post Game/In Game Pitcher and Batter Analysis – Stats and match-up analysis’ are a baseball fan’s dream! The Pitch Analysis is a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played. Gamers will be able sort by pitcher LHB or RHB Pitch type and result. This feature is also available for Batters and the batter analysis allows for a breakdown of how a batter has performed based on LHP or RHP Pitch Type and the result.
- Pitch Grips – Adding ore authenticity MLB 08 THE SHOW details the different pitch grips and arm angles that a pitcher has when throwing each pitch. Showing these details in Replay Mode will further enhance the look of the game. 18 different pitch types total! (Four-Seam Fastball Two-Seam Fastball Cut Fastball Split-Fingered Fastball Curveball Slider Sinker Slurve Change-Up Circle Change Knuckleball Palmball Forkball Knuckle-Curve Screwball 10-4 Curve 12-6 Curve & Gyro).
- Crowd Interaction – With the power of the PS3 the MLB franchise is set introduce subtle elements of baseball that quite simply couldn’t be done on another platform. A big part of baseball is in the ambiance of the game – having realistic stadiums is mandatory but the crowd also plays a big part in the overall atmosphere. Gamers will see a vast array of new ambient elements including: fans coming going and reaching for foul balls vendors 7th inning stretch the wave standing ovations dynamic crown actions like hanging K’s and much much more. These new subtleties make MLB 08 THE SHOW truly feel like a day at the ballpark.
- MLB My Music – Ever wanted to make your own video game soundtrack? With MLB 08 THE SHOW for the PS3 and PSP gamers will be able to take the music that they have stored on their PS3 HDD and add to the list of music played in the Juke Box.
- Adaptive Pitching Intelligence (API) – Catchers will call the game based on individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher and analyze tendencies of batters. Gamers will have the ability to trust the pitches called by the catcher or shake them off. (The catcher’s recommendations are based off of thousands of actual MLB stats.)
- Pitch Command System (PCS) – Delivering unsurpassed authenticity and strategy to pitch selection a pitcher’s ‘pitch comfort’ will be predetermined based on a best to worst pitch scenario. It’s up the gamer to decide if they should try to ‘work on a pitch’ or just go with what’s working. The more a player works on a pitch the better it becomes and the more a gamer neglects a pitch the harder it becomes to work the zone.
- Release Point Pitching – Taking video game pitching to a whole new level gamers must utilize a timing mechanism to learn and realize each pitchers pace and release point which varies from pitcher to pitcher.
- Pitching Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. Additionally Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer’s ability to hit release points in the all-new pitch meter while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer’s hurler making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.
- Guess Pitch – Baseball fans can attempt to master the ability to knock one out or hit the grounder to advance the runner by checking the pitch history and correctly guessing which pitch and the location that the pitcher will throw next. If the correct pitch is selected the power attribute is increased in attempts to leave the yard in a hurry.
- 40-Man Roster – Provides the ability to take full control of a team’s roster and manage all 40 players for each and every game.
- My Sliders (Up/Downloadable) – The My Sliders option gives users the ability to create their perfect game settings offline by adjusting game sliders. Gamers can then save these adjustments to memory and when online upload to them to the MLB 08 THE SHOW server for other users to try and let the online community be the judge on finding the perfect game.
- MLB Player Motion Captures – MLB 08 THE SHOW features dozens of professional athletes including David Wright David Ortiz Eric Chavez Roger Clemens Shawn Green Tony Gwynn Trevor Hoffman Tim Hudson Darryl Hamilton Troy Percival Brett Tomko Mo Vaughn and more.
- Thousands of Personalized Animations – Authenticity: featuring personalized player animations for everything from walk-ups rituals stances and swings and even emotions.
- New Umpire Personalities – Providing even more realism to the diamond MLB 08 THE SHOW features umpires with unique tendencies and animations. Each umpire will have his own definition of the strike zone and it’s up to the gamer to figure out if the umpire is calling the zone high low or giving the corners.
- Managers / Coaches – MLB managers and coaches will be on the field calling the shots.
- MLB Authenticity Subtleties & Nuances – MLB 08 THE SHOW features drag bunts wild pitches broken bats check swings off-line throws and much more.
- Wind Effects – MLB 08 THE SHOW features a wind display showing wind speed and direction. Depending upon the severity of the wind the ball will drift according to the speed and direction. Wind effects will force the player to take the proper route to the ball and make adjustments on the fly.
- 3-Man Booth & Progressive Commentary – Rex Hudler Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell provide the most comprehensive commentary heard in any baseball videogame.